Jolene (Elemental Masters #15) (Mass Market)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 15 in the Elemental Masters series.
- #1: The Serpent's Shadow (Elemental Masters #1) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #2: The Gates of Sleep (Elemental Masters #2) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #3: Phoenix and Ashes (Elemental Masters #3) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #4: The Wizard of London (Elemental Masters #4) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #5: Reserved for the Cat (Elemental Masters #5) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #6: Unnatural Issue (Elemental Masters #6) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #7: Home From the Sea (Elemental Masters #7) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #8: Steadfast (Elemental Masters #8) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #9: Blood Red (Elemental Masters #9) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #10: From a High Tower (Elemental Masters #10) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #11: A Study in Sable (Elemental Masters #11) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #12: A Scandal in Battersea (Elemental Masters #12) (Hardcover): $27.00
- #13: The Bartered Brides (Elemental Masters #13) (Hardcover): $27.00
- #14: The Case of the Spellbound Child (Elemental Masters #14) (Mass Market): $8.09
- #16: The Silver Bullets of Annie Oakley: An Elemental Masters Novel (Mass Market): $8.09
Now in paperback, the beloved Elemental Masters series moves to America for the first time in a rich retelling of The Queen of the Copper Mountain, set against the backdrop of Tennessee coal country.
Anna May Jones is the daughter of a coal miner, but a sickly constitution has kept her confined to the house for most of her life. Hoping to improve her daughter’s health—and lessen the burden on their family—Anna's mother sends her to live with her Aunt Jinny, a witchy-woman and an Elemental Master, in a holler outside of Ducktown.
As she settles into her new life, Anna learns new skills at Aunt Jinny’s side and discovers that she, too, has a gift for Elemental magic that Jinny calls “the Glory”. She also receives lessons from a mysterious and bewitching woman named Jolene, who assures her that, with time, Anna could become even more powerful than her aunt.
But with Anna’s increasing power comes increasing notice. Billie McDaran, the foreman of the Ducktown mine, begins to take an interest in Anna and her abilities—even though Anna has already fallen in love with a young man with a talent for stonecarving.
If she wants to preserve the life she has come to love, Anna must use her newfound powers to oppose the foreman and protect those around her.
About the Author
Mercedes Lackey is a full-time writer and has published numerous novels and works of short fiction, including the best-selling Heralds of Valdemar series. She is also a professional lyricist and a licensed wild bird rehabilitator.
Praise for the Elemental Masters series
“Lackey’s fantastical world of Elementals, plus her delightful Nan and Sarah, create an amusing contrast for Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes and John Watson…. The mix of humor, history, fantasy, and mystery is balanced in a way that any reader could pick up the book and thoroughly enjoy it from beginning to end.” —RT Reviews
“The Paris of Degas, turn-of-the-century Blackpool, and the desperation of young girls without family or other protection come to life in a story that should interest a broad readership.” —Booklist
“All in fine fairy-tale tradition.... It’s grim fun, with some nice historical detail, and just a hint of romance to help lighten things.” —Locus
“The action and dialogue flow freely, mingling with beautiful descriptions of European countryside and just a hint of romance.... A well-developed heroine and engaging story.” —Publishers Weekly
“The fifth in the series involving the mysterious Elemental Masters, this story of a resourceful young dancer also delivers a new version of a classic fairy tale. Richly detailed historic backgrounds add flavor and richness to an already strong series that belongs in most fantasy collections. Highly recommended.” —Library Journal
“The Elementals novels are beautiful, romantic adult fairy tales. Master magician Mercedes Lackey writes a charming fantasy.” —Worlds of Wonder
“Ms. Lackey is a master in fantasy, and this visit to an alternate historical England is no exception. Vivid characterization and believable surroundings are flawlessly joined in a well-detailed world.” —Darque Reviews
"I find Ms. Lackey's Elemental Masters series a true frolic into fantasy." —Fantasy Book Spot